We previously wrote a blog post about Ideas for a Lockdown Valentines Day (click here)
I thought it would be a good idea to give you some Valentines inspiration for baking for the kids and by yourselves.!
I posted a few ideas and recipes on my Instagram recently, but thought it adding them all here would be beneficial for you guys!
- 200g Unsalted Butter (or a suitable alternative)
- 100g Caster Sugar (plus more for sprinking)
- 300g Plain Flour (plus more for dusting)
Decoration (totally optional but we used)
- 75g White Chocolate
- 75g Milk Chocolate
- Food Colouring
- Add butter and sugar in a bowl, beat together until fluffy (we used a hand whisk)
- Add in flour and beat until the dough has formed (make sure it is well combined)
- Lightly flour the surface and roll out the dough. Roll until the dough is around 1cm think.
- Cut out your shortbread hearts – we used a heart cookie cutter, but you can use any cookie cutter of course, or even make your own with a card.
- Carefully pick the shortbread up and add to a lined baking tray. Once they are all cut up, place in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Whilst they are chilling, preheat your oven to 180C / 160C fan.
- Once chilled, sprinkle lightly with caster sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until they’re turning lightly golden (if shortbreads vary in size, adjust the cooking times accordingly)
- Once baked, leave to cool. Then decorate and Enjoy!
Valentines Triple Chocolate Brownie Tray Bake
- 200g Dark Chocolate
- 200g Unsalted Butter
- 3 Large Eggs
- 275g Caster Sugar
- 90g Plain Flour
- 35g Cocoa Powder
- 100g White Chocolate (Chopped or Chips)
- 100g Milk Chocolate (Chopped or Chips)
- 100g Dark Chocolate (Chopped or Chips)
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 160C Fan and line a 9′ square baking tray with parchment paper.
- Melt together the Butter and Dark Chocolate in a microwave for 1-2 minutes until all melted. Leave aside to cool to room temp.
- Using a electric mixer, whisk together the Eggs and Caster Sugar for a few minutes until the mixture has turned pale and is doubled in volume.
- You will know it is done with you lift your whisk up out of the mix it will leave a trail for a couple of seconds before disappearing.
- When whisked, pour the cooled chocolate mix in and fold together carefully. Take your time as you don’t want to knock out all the air.
- Once completely combined, sift the Cocoa Powder and Flour on top of the chocolate mixture and then fold in again. Again be careful when folding!
- Once well combined, fold through the chopped chocolate and pour into the prepared tin – bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until you think it is moist enough! Once baked, leave to cool in the tin completely.
- At this stage, we added melted pink chocolate and sprinkles.
- 10 Oreos
- 75g White Chocolate
- Pink Food Colouring
- Edible Eyes
- Melt the White Chocolate in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Use the Pink Food Colouring to colour the chocolate (use as much as you want to get the desired colour)
- Dip half the Oreo in the chocolate and set aside.
- The decorate with the edible eyes and the sprinkles
Heart Shaped Cheese Nibbles
- 120g Plain Flour (extra for rolling)
- 120g Butter
- 120g Cheese
- Add spice for flavour
- Preheat the oven to 170C / 150C Fan.
- Mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, using your hands (great to do with kids) until a dough is formed.
- Roll out the dough to a 5mm thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Use your cookie cutter, we used a smaller heart cookie cutter, to cut out your biscuits.
- Place your biscuits on your parchment lined baking tray and let rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden and crispy.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 50g White Chocolate
- 50g Milk Chocolate
- Melt your White Chocolate and Milk Chocolate in separate bowls in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Dip your strawberries in the melted chocolate and set aside.
- Use sprinkles or any other decorations to make the strawberries look amazing.
- Set in the fridge for an hour